4.08.2008

The Psychotic Two's (or, LT and I are Mean! Mommies!)

Kidlet has been acting like an absolute lunatic lately. By lunatic I mean she's acting like a 2-year-old, and I really wish she'd cut it out because I don't like her very much right now.

She's basically just plain crazy. She makes demands, expects them to be met immediately, and then freaks out when they aren't (LT and I do not respond to any statement that begins with "Give me" or "I want". We're really Mean Mommies like that...). The freakouts always involve ear-splitting crying, as well as throwing oneself on the floor, throwing objects, and just generally acting like a big turd. Lately, most of this behavior has been inspired by us suggesting that she might want to sit on the potty, or come to the table for dinner, or get ready for bed. Forget about even suggesting that she actually go to bed. We are so unreasonable and demanding, LT and I.

By the time I made it home from work last night, Kidlet was starting to show signs of getting over her damn self, and LT told me she had willingly gone upstairs to sit on the potty, so I'm taking that as a hopeful sign.

I woke up this morning from a particularly restful night's sleep to find kidlet sound asleep beside me, looking all adorable and snuggly. LT was in the shower, and when she emerged she told me kidlet had been in and out of our room approximately 56 times until she finally relented and let her get in bed with us at 3:00. She didn't seem sick or freaked out and didn't offer any explanation. Each time LT woke up, she just whispered "Hi Mommy" and then allowed LT to lead her back to her room and tuck her in. By the time I had finished showering and had gotten dressed she was starting to wake up and was almost (dare I say?) cheerful. She didn't even freak out when she realized we had left her breakfast at home on the counter. I'm a little scared I might be paying for this momentary lapse back into "sweet kid" mode, but for now I'm just grateful that we didn't start the day with tears.

2 comments:

Maxine Dangerous said...

I act like that at work. Are you saying that's wrong?? ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow... you just brought back memories! When Oakley was two, I lived in a small home in which his room was attached to mine, like a closet with no door and a big window on the outside. So, every night I woke up to the shadow of this cutie patootie dragging a stuffed toy almost half his size and toddling over to my bed, then hauling his little self right in and passing out.
Soooo squishy!!!