3.28.2008

For the First Time in My Career, I Don't Wish I Had Just Gone to Law School Like My Dad Said

I LOVE my new job. Love, love, lovelovelovelovelove LOVE it! Way. Big. Lots.

These are just some of the reasons why:
1. They pay me a lot of money.
2. There are no admissions, transfers or discharges to be facilitated, confused old folks to chase down, meds to give, dressings to change, IVs to hang, crazy families to call Security about, imminent cardiac arrest (mine or anyone else's...), report to give, CNAs to manage, and there is no blood, sputum, poop, or emesis to be found.
3. Company retreat in Bermuda.
4. Working technology (hardware and software), plentiful office supplies, new, matching (not fourth-hand, broken and/or fugly) furniture, and a fully stocked fridge in the break room.
5. No one has called me a bitch.
6. The CEO, the CFO, and my boss all make it a point to stop by my space, say hello, and inquire about how my day is going and whether or not they can help me with anything.
7. Cool, eclectic, fun, completely fucking brilliant minds everywhere.
8. One hour paid lunch breaks. The ability to actually stop working so that I can take care of my own personal physical needs (I know! It's so crazy that it might just work!).
9. See 1 and 2, above.

There's a wicked learning curve, but I'm picking things up really quickly, and I understand the concepts and the process in a totally intuitive way. I love that I'm on the ground floor of a startup company that has unlimited growth potential. I love knowing that I was hand-picked out of 150 applicants for my job. I love that the expectations are high, that the work is challenging, and that performance is rewarded generously. I love that I have the support of a management team that is composed of the most brilliant minds in the industry, and that each of them has a stake in my own personal success or failure.

Law school is expensive. Nursing school was cheap. Sallie Mae owns my ass now, but my new job will pay the ransom pretty quick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay you!

Excellent! Congrats!!